Monday, October 24, 2011

How to Spice up an Old Mason Jar

Happy Monday! Before I study my entire day away, I thought that I would post about my new obsession: mason jars. These simple little jars can be made into anything imaginable, not to mention how easy they are to find! I have found mason jars at craft stores like Michael's as well as antique stores. They come in a number of sizes depending on where you buy them from. For the mason jar pictured on the left, I found some leftover fabric and thin brown rope to dress up this old jar. I simply cut the fabric so that it would fit around the jar and hot glued it to the jar. For the rope, I just wrapped it around the fabric a few times ,until I was satisfied with the thickness, and tied a cute bow to finish it off. On this project, I decided I wanted to fill my jar with water and float a few tea lights to make this jar different than the others. I actually LOVE the floating tea lights as opposed to placing a candle at the bottom of the mason jar (it causes a huge mess when the candle is finished burning). By the way, if you ever need a cake stand, mason jars and old plates make the perfect combination! This plate and mason jar were purchased from an antique store for only $5!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sam! LOVE what you did with the mason jar...1 of my best friends is getting married next Fall...these would make fabulous centerpieces!!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie! I love mason jar centerpieces at weddings, adorable! Take some pictures if she ends up using them!

    ReplyDelete